Upon completion of this level, the student will be able to:
- talk about tourist destinations
- describe what is inside a building
- talk about numbers of things or people that exist in a particular place
- talk about the whereabouts of things and people
- talk about everyday doings--what you will do, when and where
- say how frequently you do something and give a brief reason for why you do it, order food at a restaurant
- talk about characteristics of things and people, use basic greetings when visiting people and receiving guests
- talk about giving and receiving gifts, praise someone's possessions
- express your thoughts about experiences, gratitude, make telephone calls
- make plans with someone
- talk about what you own, offer to help someone and accept or decline someone's offer, give reasons for offering someone something, invite someone to do something, accept or decline someone's invitation
- write the KATAKANA characters used for telegrams and foreign names of places and persons.
It is strongly recommended that the student purchase the Japanese For Busy People I Kana VERSION
as well at this level.
- One final exam (2.5 hours).
- Upon successful completion (80% or higher
attendance rate and 80% or higher final exam score) of the course, a STUDENT
PROGRESS REPORT will be written if requested at the time you take the final exam.
- Your final exam score and attendance (%) will be kept in a digitized form
@STUDENT GRADES AND
The instructor will create a relaxed, low-anxiety atmosphere in which you can
acquire the previously mentioned course objectives with less effort and with ease.
The instructor will use an eclectic teaching method.
- The instructor will follow the calendar printed on the back page.
- In class, student and teacher (and student and student) will engage in interactive
language activities, a variety of exercises, using as much Japanese as possible.
The instructor, however, will use some mechanical and meaningful drills, when
necessary, to develop your kinetic memory for the training of the perceptual motor
- Students will reinforce and develop vocabulary, structures, listening and conversational skills through weekly
- The class, however, may be conduted in accordance with the needs of the students
in class within the course objectives.
||Brief Review and Lesson 8 --- Going to Nikko
||Lesson 9 ------------ Looking for a Parking Lot
||lesson 10 ------------ Making Plans for the Weekend
||Lesson 11 ------------ At a Tempura Restaurant
||Lesson 12 ------------ Receiving Hospitality
||Lesson 13 ------------ Giving Compliments
||Lesson 13, Review and Quiz
||Lesson 14 ------------ Expressing Gratitude
||Lesson 15 ------------ Invitations
||NO CLASS THANKSGIVING DAY WEEK
||Lesson 16 ------------ Participating in a Festival
- You are expected to listen to the audio files, memorize new words,
read the grammar explanation in the textbook and to complete all assignments before
coming to class.
- A quiz will be given in class every week.
- Please be on time for class; otherwise, you interrupt the lesson for others.
Regular class attendance and participation are essential for language learning.
- Excessive absences(more than 3 class meetings) may be cause for repetition
of the course.
- The results of your final exam (%) and attendance (%) will be kept in a digitized form
@STUDENT GRADES AND INFORMATION REPOSITORY.
Your PROGRESS REPORT will be kept in the Soko Gakuen Records Office, and the Office will release it only upon your request.
- When you obtain a score of 80% or higher on the final exam, you move up to
a higher level class. Soko Gakuen's exit criteria for each class/level are based
on the 1987 ACTFL Japanese Language Proficiency Guidelines.
POLICY ON FINAL EXAM:
If you are unable to take the final exam on the scheduled date due to circumstances
beyond your control, the exam may be given only in a similar test-taking situation
(under supervision of an instructor at Soko Gakuen). Unless the final exam is
made up, NO CERTIFICATE can be issued.
ALL THE ENDEAVORS OF THE TEACHER WILL FAIL TO INSURE SUCCESS UNLESS YOU PREPARE WITH
DILIGENCE AND CONSTANCY THE EXERCISES TO BE GIVEN IN CLASS!
YOUR PROGRESS IS MY MAIN CONCERN!